Saturday 13 February 2016

MADIBA'S OCEAN OF STARS!


I anticipated a pool of artists but to my surprise – it was not a “pool” but an ocean of artists. When I pushed the backstage door, I maintained a blank stare as the room was gleaming with some of Mzansi’s best stars. Like stars revolving around the orbit, they were moving around the room reading their scripts. Some like the legendary Sipho “Hotstix” Mabuse were testing their horns. Coming to think of it, this deep ocean was dug by Madiba. 


They were all present to honour him. Pushing the hands of the clock forward and skipping some of this momentous occasion… There was my first encounter with Simphiwe Dana. The atmosphere was seasoned with a voice of unity. As she set her feet on the stage, the crowd started cheering. A friend of mine seated next to me screamed. I understood that it was an encounter with one of her favourite African women. I had listened to her music, the likes of Ndiredi and other songs from the album One Love Movement - Bantu Biko Street. But I had never been to any of her live shows.


I had a firm grip on my camera attempting to get a good picture. Took a close up and attempted to sync her with the background to tell a comprehensive story. Let me not bore you with this adage: “A pictures is worth a thousand words.” It has been said over and over! Anyway, I pulled back to my seat and took pictures from there. There atmosphere was getting heated and the crowd singing rigorously to the songs. With her “time craft,” she also took us to Sophiatown as she sang one of Miriam Makeba’s songs (Malaika). People were on their feet singing along. I wondered what was going through her mind to such a reaction. Dana beautifully hit the right notes of that song effortless. My mind wandered for a while as I sunk in my thoughts. Is this the crop that the likes of Miriam Makeba made way for? Simphiwe gave us a glimpse of the 60s.



That moment I wished I was not a [slightly] born-free to witness these kind of moments with her [mam Miriam]. Maybe interview her about her international gig, her upcoming album or something. Thanks to YouTube, we can revisit some of those moments in her absence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

advert