Monday 11 July 2016

Krostina [episode 1]

Where do I begin with this? My mind is flooded by ideas which I want to express but they are wired together like a spaghetti dish. I think it would be easier if I break them down into components or compartments. Remember that big school bag we used to carry in primary and middle school? The bag was quite big but the nice thing about it is that it had compartments for the books. One could arrange the books accordingly. 
I did not mention that the bag was used in high school intentionally. Well I had one when I was in high school but I used it for less than a week, 4 days to be precise. One of the days fell on a public holiday. I only used the bag for that shortest period because it had slowly losing popularity in high school. I became a laughing stock to the first day I carried it. The bag had 4 compartments, a small pocket inside and two other pockets from outside. You see the weight of convenience that came with that bag. You could stack up your things nicely. My peers did not see it from that vantage point. After all, we had recently adopted the "carry books according to the timetable" policy. The bag swallowed my A4 and A5 books. The policy was not that effective very often. Teachers would swap days and class periods and expect one to produce a book. Home was approximately 50 - 60 kilometers away from school. Going home to fetch a book from home would not work. I applied the policy on the textbooks. After all, you could always share a textbook with someone but not a class work book.  Although I baffled my peers with a "Krostina," as we would call it, it came in very handy. The bag looks like a Krostina which is well known by the Basotho people. It is an instrument that is close to their heart. I know some do not know what is a krostina. According to the settlers [who came in a ship from overseas many moons ago], it is called an "accordion." yeah, that is how the bag looks like. Alright, now that the issue of dividing my story into tiny explainable compartments. Let me start with the first compartment of my story. Never mind the photo above, I did not have a relevant photo of a krostina to accompany this text. Yoh, I've been typing here and I didn't share even one of the spaghetti stories yet. Let me hold the thought here for now and give my fingers a break. Like those Pokemon episodes. "to be continued..."

Caption: Basking in the sun like megaditswane [lizards] le majita after church.
Photo cred: Maila

No comments:

Post a Comment

advert